1 DAY SOUTHERN LIGHTS BY FLIGHT
Christchurch - Christchurch
Witness the world's most remarkable natural light show. The Southern lights...also known as the Aurora Australis!
Many people spend a small fortune to fly to Norway, Canada or the Arctic Circle to see the Northern lights, but did you realize that you can see the same phenomena on a flight departing from Christchurch New Zealand
Join Viva Expeditions & Aurora hunter and astrophysicist Dr Ian Griffin & a team of expert astronomers and fly into the night, to witness of the world’s most magical natural phenomena. Take off onboard an Air New Zealand Dreamliner, you will head south over the Southern Ocean towards Antarctica, aiming for latitudes of 62 degrees south where the Aurora Australis is brightest. We will take you far away from light pollution, high above the clouds and weather systems to see a magical and unforgettable display with uninterrupted view of the southern lights. Along the way you will see constellations, stars, and planets as you have never witnessed them before.
Throughout the flights you will receive a full inflight catering service in both business and economy classes. Expert astronomers will provide information on route about how an aurora is created, as well as pointing out their favourite night sky objects. They will instruct you on how to photograph an aurora and we will have a photographer onboard to assist on how best to use your cameras.
* Two full-service Air New Zealand meals plus in-flight snacks.
* Full bar service onboard
* Charter flight aiming for latitudes of 62 degrees south
* Expert team of Astronomers & Photographer onboard.
* Celebrate your adventure with champagne, wine, beer, spirits
* Seat options from Economy to Business Premium plus, ask us for details
* Pre-flight tours and excursion options, please ask us for more info!
* Witness the world’s most remarkable natural lightshow
* Take off onboard an Air New Zealand Dreamliner
* uninterrupted view of the southern lights
* See constellations, stars, and planets as you have never witnessed them before
* Full inflight catering service in both business and economy classes. Expert astronomers will provide
* Expert astronomers will provide information on route about how an aurora is created, pointing out their favourite night sky objects.
* A photographer will instruct you on how to photograph an Aurora and how best to use your cameras.
You may have finished on our pre flight group tour or arriving on your own but please ensure you are in Christchurch at least 3 hours before. Once checked in you will board your flight and take off around 7:30pm (tentative departure time, subject to change) in search of the Southern Lights.
Aboard our privately chartered state-of-the-art 787 Dreamliner, you will experience unparalleled viewing of the magical Aurora Australis. Enjoy Full Air New Zealand service – including premium drinks, delicious meals, and access to full inflight entertainment when outside the Aurora zone.
The duration of the flight is approximately 10 hours, and the Aurora can typically be seen after about two and a half hours flying – it’s an experience like no other. Viewing of the Aurora is an exciting experience, but it is important to note that there is a difference between viewing the Aurora with the naked eye versus what the camera captures. Striking images and videos of the Aurora that you may have seen are captured thanks to the extreme sensitivity of modern digital cameras. To help guests we will have a professional
photographer onboard who can assist you in getting the best possible results.
If you are an avid photographer or astronomer, we highly recommend you choose a premium seat or book a full row in economy to guarantee window access throughout the duration of the flight.
Guests should be aware that once in the Aurora zone the cabin lights will be turned off to enable best viewing.
How long will we see the Aurora for?
As you will appreciate, the Aurora is a natural phenomenon, so this can never
be guaranteed. However, on previous two charter flights, passengers enjoyed
between 4 and 6 hours of viewing.
The flight will be a round trip lasting a total of 10 hours, spending as much time as possible flying with the Aurora Australis. You will return to Christchurch the next day, after experiencing one of the most unique natural lightshows in the world.
20 MARCH 2021 - SOLD OUT
21 MARCH 2021
From $1,195 NZD Per person, sharing
* Economy limited view