6 DAY CHRISTMAS IN MARLBOROUGH
Auckland - Christchurch - Waipara - Kaikoura - Kekerengu – Blenheim - Queen Charlotte Sound – Picton - Havelock – Nelson - Charleston – Punakaiki - Lake Brunner – Arthur’s Pass – Christchurch – Auckland
Small group tour for mature travellers. Travel up the Kaikoura Coast to lunch in a Marlborough vineyard and visit Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre. Celebrate Christmas on Endeavour Inlet at Furneaux Lodge, reached only by water from Picton. Check out the sights and stay a night in Nelson and a final night in Punakaiki on the edge of the Tasman Sea.
* All transport by comfortable, air conditioned coach (maximum of 18 travellers).
* Services of your knowledgeable MoaTours Kiwi guide.
* Quality accommodation chosen for a “sense of place".
* Return airfares ex Auckland. (please ask us about flights from other airports)
* All breakfasts
* All lunches including special lunches at: Vineyard in Waipara; Brancott Estate; Christmas lunch at Furneaux
* All dinners including special dinner: Cruising the bays of Queen Charlotte Sound; Punakaiki Resort Hotel.
* Wine taste at a Marlborough and Waipara vineyard.
* Visit historic Fyffe House, Kaikoura.
* Visit Kaikoura Museum to see “The New Normal, Kaikoura Earthquake Exhibition”.
* Visit Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre Exhibitions to see Knights of the Sky and Dangerous Skies exhibitions.
* Get an idea of life on board the “Edwin Fox” when we visit this restoration project on Picton’s waterfront.
* Cruise by launch through the Sound to Furneaux Lodge for Christmas lunch on Endeavour Inlet.
* Catch the rainforest train into the Nile River Canyon to the dramatic limestone rocks.
* Drive the Kaikoura Coast road.
* Visit the Kaikoura seal colony.
* Cruise the bays of Queen Charlotte Sound.
* See the sights of Nelson.
* Experience the powerful blow holes at the Punakaiki Pancake rocks in the Paparoa National Park.
* Drive the dramatic Otira Gorge highway to Arthur’s Pass and say hello to the Kea, New Zealand’s cheeky
Day 1 - Fly to Christchurch – Waipara - Kaikoura
Your Kiwi Guide will meet you off your flight at Christchurch airport, then we'll all head northwards to stop for lunch and wine tasting at Waipara Hills winery. Continuing over the Hunderlee Hills to Kaikoura we visit Fyffe House, Kaikoura’s oldest building dating back to the 1840s and the nearby seal colony.
At the museum the “New Normal, the Kaikoura Earthquake Exhibition” looks at the quake’s impact. No visit to Kaikoura is complete without the stunning views and wildlife of the Peninsula lookout. We stay at the White Morph Inn.
Day 2 - Kaikoura – Kekerengu – Blenheim - Queen Charlotte Sound – Picton
We drive the perimeter of Yealands vineyard to enjoy the views. In Blenheim we lunch and wine taste at Brancott Estate vineyard and visit the outstanding Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre which features a large collection of First and Second World War flying memorabilia.
This evening we take a relaxed, private dinner cruise to explore the bays and stunning beauty of Queen Charlotte Sound. We return to Picton to stay two nights at the Picton Yacht Club Hotel.
Day 3 - Picton – Christmas lunch at Furneaux Lodge, Endeavour Inlet - Picton
We breakfast at our hotel and start the day on the Picton waterfront where we board our launch to cruise down beautiful Queen Charlotte Sound to Endeavour Inlet where we celebrate Christmas with lunch at Furneaux Lodge, only reached by water or walking or biking the Queen Charlotte Track. Stroll the lawns and enjoy the views out to the Inlet.
In the mid afternoon we return back down the Sound to Picton. Tonight Margaret and Bill McHugh host us for dinner at Kippilaw House in Picton.
Day 4 - Picton – ”Edwin Fox” – Havelock – Nelson
This morning we find out the history of the old sailing ship “Edwin Fox” n the Picton waterfront - from troop carrier to immigrant ship, even convict transporter. Built in 1853, today it is a massive restoration project and gives a fascinating insight into life on board a sailing ship.
We drive to Havelock for a short stroll and lunch at the Slip Inn on the edge of Pelorus Sound.
Continuing to Nelson we check out the city's sights before checking into the Trailways Hotel where we dine this evening.
Day 5 - Nelson – Buller Gorge – Rainforest train, Charleston – Punakaiki
We drive through the stunning scenery of the Buller Gorge and on to visit the seal colony at Cape Foulwind. At Charleston we stop for lunch and take a ride on the rainforest train to see the stunning limestone formations of the Nile River Valley in the Paparoa National Park.
It's just a short walk out to see the Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and the coastal views are fantastic. If the tide is right the blowholes will be spreading clouds of spray. We stay nearby at the Punakaiki Resort Hotel on the edge of the Tasman Sea and dine in this evening.
Day 6 - Punakaiki – Lake Brunner – Arthur’s Pass – Christchurch – Fly to Auckland
Leaving the coast we stop for lunch at secluded and beautiful Lake Brunner before driving up the Otira Viaduct, a spectacular, cantilevered road. The cheeky keas at the lookout at the top of the Pass never let us down - they are worth a photograph every time.
From Arthur’s Pass we continue through beech forests and magnificent alpine scenery beside the Waimakariri River and down Porter's Pass to the Canterbury Plains and on to Christchurch airport.
23 Dec 2020 SORRY IT'S FULL
23 Dec 2021
from NZ $3,190 Per person Twin share