6 DAY QUEENSTOWN NEW YEAR
Auckland - Christchurch - Mount Cook - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford Sound - Auckland
Small group experience for more mature travellers. Stay at Aoraki/Mount Cook before celebrating New Year’s Eve in style by dining at Walter Peak Station - complete with stunning views of Lake Wakatipu - before returning to Queenstown to watch the fireworks. Take a scenic jet boat ride on the Upper Waiau River. Cruise overnight on a long summer's evening at Milford Sound - it's the ultimate Milford experience. Moored in a sheltered cove, the sound is virtually ours alone.
* All transport by comfortable, air conditioned coach (maximum of 18 travellers).
* Services of your knowledgeable MoaTours guide.
* Quality accommodation chosen for a “sense of place".
* Return airfares ex Auckland. (please ask us about flights from other airports)
* All breakfasts
* All lunches including special lunches at: Stratosphere Restaurant and Bar, Bobs Peak; Five Rivers Retreat
* All dinners including special dinners at: Panorama Room, The Hermitage; Walter Peak Station; Milford * * * Mariner, Milford Sound.
* Cruise across Lake Wakatipu to dine at Walter Peak Station.
* In Queenstown we catch the Gondola to Bob’s Peak to lunch at Stratosphere Restaurant.
* Stay overnight on Milford Sound aboard the "Milford Mariner".
* On the "Milford Mariner's" tender cruise close-up to the shoreline.
* Visit the wildlife centre to see the rare, flightless Takahe.
* Take a scenic jet boat ride on the Upper Waiau River.
* Travel through Burkes Pass and the Mackenzie Country.
* At Lake Tekapo photograph the picturesque church and the sculpture celebrating the high country sheep dog.
* Explore the legendary Aoraki/Mt Cook region.
* Drive through the stark beauty of the Lindis Pass and through the Kawarau Gorge.
* Sightsee around the Queenstown region.
* Gold mining history comes alive in Arrowtown.
* Enjoy the views on a scenic drive to Glenorchy.
* Drive the dramatic road to Milford Sound in the heart of Fiordland National Park.
* In the Hollyford Valley visit historic Gunn's camp and museum.
* Explore the small township of Te Anau, the picturesque gateway to the New Zealand wilderness.
Day 1 - Fly to Christchurch – Geraldine – Aoraki/ Mt Cook
Your flight departs mid-morning, after arriving in Christchurch we head south to Geraldine. After lunch sweeping vistas of Burkes Pass and the Mackenzie Country open up ahead. The small church on the edge of aquamarine Lake Tekapo and a statue celebrating the high country sheep dog make irresistible photo stops.
We continue on past Lake Pukaki before taking the road alongside the lake to Aoraki/Mt Cook village. We enjoy a special dinner this evening in the The Hermitage’s Panorama Room where Aoraki/Mt Cook dominates the view.
Day 2 - Aoraki/Mt Cook - Lindis Pass - Queenstown
We wake at the foot of Aoraki/Mt Cook, at 3,754 metres New Zealand's highest mountain and known in Maori as Aoraki "the cloud piercer". We head down the mountain rimmed Mackenzie Basin and over the golden grass of the Lindis Pass and through the Kawarau Gorge.
We continue alongside the gorge to Queenstown. Your hotel is a located a short walk from the centre of this alpine resort. This evening we cruise out on Lake Wakatipu on the vintage steamer TSS "Earnslaw" to dine at Walter Peak Station and celebrate the New Year.
Day 3 - Queenstown - Arrowtown - Glenorchy - Queenstown
Our first destination is the leafy village of Arrowtown where gold mining history comes alive beside the Arrow River. Take a stroll along the main street and beside the river or browse the shops to enjoy the charms of this historic town.
We return to Queenstown and ride the Skyline Gondola to the top of Bob’s Peak for lunch at the Stratosphere Restaurant to enjoy a scenic overview of this picturesque resort. It’s a beautiful drive alongside Lake Wakatipu to Glenorchy. We return to Queenstown to stroll the shops and the waterfront and dine back at our hotel this evening.
Day 4 - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford Sound Overnight Cruise
We leave this resort town for the peace and tranquility of an evening on the world famous Milford Sound. We lunch in Te Anau before driving the dramatic road to Milford Sound in the heart of Fiordland National Park where we board the “Milford Mariner”.
Cruise by Mitre Peak and out to the Tasman Sea as your nature guide points out waterfalls and sea birds. Where the sound reaches the Tasman Sea seal colonies lounge on the rocks. Moored in a sheltered cove this evening we dine on board – the sound is virtually ours alone.
Day 5 - Milford Sound - Hollyford Valley - Te Anau
We wake up in magnificent Milford Sound and breakfast on the “Milford Mariner” then return down the Milford Road and through the Homer Tunnel taking our time to check out the beauty spots along the way including Gunn’s Camp and museum in the Hollyford Valley. The Milford Road is a panorama of high mountains and deep valleys studded with glaciers, waterfalls and mirror lakes.
Returning to Te Anau there’s time to stroll the waterfront before we dine in your lakeside hotel the Distinction Te Anau this evening.
Day 6 - Te Anau – Upper Waiau River – Queenstown – Fly to Auckland
We visit the wildlife centre to see the rare, flightless Takahe only found in the wild in the remote Murchison Mountains across the lake from Te Anau. We take a scenic jet boat ride on the Upper Waiau River which flows into Lake Manapouri then cruise out across this mountain fringed lake before returning up the river to look for brown and rainbow trout lurking in deep, clear pools.
We lunch and enjoy the hospitality of Paula and Roger Thompson on their farm Five Rivers Retret then In the mid afternoon drive to Queenstown Airport in time for your return flight.
30 Dec 2020 - ALMOST FULL
from NZ $3,990 per person twin share